From the Shooting Range to the Ninepins Alley
What is shown is a copy of the original copperplate print by Matthäus Merian from 1649. The imperial double eagle can be found in the upper left corner and the Panther of Styria in the upper right. The historical Murvorstadt is taking up a lot of space in this view of the city from the south. An arm of the Mur River, which ran through the area of today’s Griesplatz until the mid-17th century, forms its southern border. In the bottom left corner, the bourgeois shooting range is clearly shown, which would lose its martial and sportive character soon thereafter and turn into a popular entertainment center with an inn and ninepins alleys.
Copperplate print on paper
31,5 × 40,5 cm